Mind of it's Own

10:58 PM Es Elle 0 Comments

I spent the day at the library (again) and as I was riding home listening to the radio a song came on that I seriously have not heard in about 10+ years. It amazed me how I knew every word and vibrato from something I had not heard in soooo long. Now, if you had asked me to sing that song before that, I probably would not even be able to think past the first four words. It got me thinking about how unpredictable the mind is. You can chose to forget things and people but you never know at what point it may reappear. There have been people I knew forever ago and run into them and cannot remember how I knew them or what their name was and usually it is because I purposefully did not want o remember them and some that I knew I had good times with but have no idea. But then there are some that you also do not care to remember and mind just pulls it out of the filing cabinet and throws it at you. It is the same way with dreams! You can control your thoughts and who you think about, who you talk about and who you associate yourself with but you cannot control what you dream. I have had dreams about people I have not seen or talked to since childhood. And you think "Where did that come from?!" It's not just that way with people but also experiences. I had a friend tell me about something her boyfriend did for her and it brought to mind a similar situation in my life that I had completely forgot it ever happened. It is crazy how the mind works; you think you control it but you never know at what point, something good or bad may present itself again. I guess that is why they say that you are who are because of the experiences you go through. Each experience, the mind files away and when that feeling, emotion or act comes around again, it pulls the file to remind you. Your mind is a powerful tool that can be used for you or against you. As long as you keep feeding good things in your mind, the mind will show you good things. Of course, some things are out of our control but I suppose that is why Philippians 4:8 commands us;  "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."




Quote of the Night: "There are many things that are essential to arriving at true peace of mind, and one of the most important is faith, which cannot be acquired without prayer."
John Wooden



Listening to: "Who Am I To Say" - Hope 

0 comments: