Last Day of Class

12:42 AM Es Elle 0 Comments

Well today was our last day of classes and was a little bittersweet. This semester was Dr. Wit's last semester to teach and today was his last day. He is retiring and has been a professor at Auburn University for a long time. He is honestly one of the smartest, most respectable men I have ever met in my life. Mammalian was definitely a very hard class but you know as a student, I know Dr. Wit was just trying to stretch us to our full potential which is exactly what we need in preparation for Pharmacy School. I am so thankful and honored to have been able to be in his last class and learn from him. He gave a speech in class today about the measurement of human life and our self worth. He told us that in our age we measure ourselves two different ways. One way was performance, we tend to measure our self worth by how well we are doing in class and what grades we are making. He explained that this is a slippery slope because you will never be satisfied. Even if you make A's, you will then want to be the person with the highest A and so on. The second way of measuring our self worth is by appearance. If we look good then we are better and will get somewhere and of course he said he was sorry to break it to us but our looks will fade, we will get wrinkles and we won't stay this way forever. He went on to say that our self worth was neither of those things but by who we are and who we are becoming. He said that he thinks each one of us as a unique creation that has a self worth of well over $6 billion and that we are very special. I was seriously moved to tears. Too bad I couldn't have heard this at the beginning of the semester. It was just so crazy that while he was saying all of this, I was thinking "Oh my gosh! This is exactly why I have felt this way the whole semester." All semester I have measured my self worth by my grades. My grades have not been great at all and it's almost immediately that I start thinking about shopping or getting my hair done or what do I need to do to change my body, weight, hair color, clothes, makeup, etc. I wasn't making the grades and it made my self confidence so low that I was trying to find a way too "look" better so I would "feel" better about myself. Dr. Wit could not have possibly described me and my emotions this semester anymore to a T than that. It hit me driving home that this Nike quote I found a few days ago stated the same thing and everything started to make sense. This semester has been rough on me and I have had many ups and downs but I would not take any of it back because of what I have learned through it all. The down times keep you grounded and make you appreciate the ups and I would hate to think differently. So lesson of the day??? All we can do is our best, measure yourself by who you are and who you are becoming and not by numbers or looks. If you are doing your best in everything, you will reach your goal and be successful. I know it's a hard concept when those things make you feel so good about yourself but like Audrey Hepburn says "Happy girls are the prettiest girls." If we have the confidence and love who we are and who we are becoming, that will do wonders on our looks and confidence will definitely help with our grades! We got this! Finals are right around the corner and I am ready to take the challenge! *Hope you all have a blessed week* 


Listening to: Use Somebody - Laura Jansen

0 comments: